One of my sons (who is an adult) gave me this wonderful bottle of Tullamore D.E.W. 14 Year Old for fathers day. I drank half of that night and saved the other half to enjoy in a more relaxed manner. This is my fourth Tullamore offering, all of which I’ve enjoyed. Plus, who is going to turn down a well aged Single Malt that has been aged in Sherry Casks, Bourbon Casks, Madeira Casks, and Por Casks?
I have to say this is one of those rare whiskies where I can actually appreciate all those finishes.
As you can see, I demolished this bottle in just two sittings…
The nose on this Tullamore D.E.W 14 is a swirling complexity to delight your olfactory senses. The first thing that hit my nose was the wonderful maltiness of the Single Malt, a bit of alcohol, and then it quickly shifts as the multiple finishes vie for your attention. The time spent in the Port, Sherry and Madeira casks give the nose a wonderful fruitiness which is nicely balanced by the sharper vanilla from the bourbon casks.
I sat here with a snifter for a good ten minutes appreciating this Tullamore D.E.W 14’s nose. It is worth picking up a bottle just to sample all those well balanced finishes.
The mouth feel is crisp and clean. The front of my tongue is hit by the malt that turns to a touch of vanilla as I start to swallow. The finish is all dry Sherry, Port, and Madeira which also gives this whiskey a nice fruity finish. It is well done, but this is the one area there might be just a bit of a clash of flavors as the different finishes vie for first place.
Overall, this is an excellent Irish Whiskey which scored an 81/100, making it Sip Worthy. Thank you Ty and KT!!!!
- This was an amazing, awesome gift.
- Masterfully blended finishes. This is a perfect masterclass for those who want something with a bit more complexity.
- Easier to find than some other bottles at this quality and price point.
- Has some complexity that may not be for the beginner.
- In my area, this is the same price as Redbreast 12, and for that money, unless I am thirsty for the complex finishes this Tullamore D.E.W 14 gives, I’d most likely end up buying the Redbreast 12.