Natterjack Irish Whiskey is a blended, triple distilled whiskey from Gortinore Distillery in Dublin Ireland. I have to be honest, even if it was bourbon, I was picking up this bottle because of the distinctive Toad label.
Even the cork has the image pressed into it. Now onto the testing.
The nose is hard to describe. Is it acid and leather I’m smelling? I’ve appreciated this note in other blends, and it is not something that I’m overly fond of.
That acid and leather came right through on the first sip. The front and mid tongue appreciate sweetness that quickly turns to leather and funk on the swallow. That cost Natterjack big points. I’m giving Natterjack a 35/100, putting it just into the Mixed Drinks Only territory.
For this price, I could buy almost two bottles of Paddies, and that is a much better sip compared to this bottle.
- New Irish Whiskey offerings are few and far between.
- Relatively cheap at $30 a bottle.
- The nose has funk that I could not get around.
- That funk comes right through on the sip.
- Better options at this price point.