Fear the Walking Dead, Season 2
Episode 9, Los Muertos
Los Muertos sticks with Nick’s storyline, opening to him waking up in what seems like an almost deserted town. He walks until he finds a young girl crying. He follows her gaze out to a field below them where a young man is taking some strange journey. The townspeople watch as he enters a bus which they use as a “gatehouse” to separate the safe area from the undead. He goes out with just a pen knife and is quickly brought down while the townspeople are chanting something about death.
When we come back from commercial we get a brief glimpse of the rest of the team as they decide to go back to the Abigail – they can’t keep searching for Nick, Travis and Chris. The truck is almost out of fuel. They return to the beach only to find someone has taken the Abigail, which leads them to seek shelter in a local resort. They aren’t exactly flush with options.
Back in town Nick bounces around until Luciana tells him they have work to do. She takes him to the bus and takes down one of the undead and use its blood to camouflage themselves- it is time to go back out into the undead world.
As Nick and his new friend walk he asks her why they sent the young man out with just a pen knife this morning. Luciana explains that the man was sick and he used the last of his strength to fight the undead before joining them. Nick & his friend walk into a town owned by ex drug dealers.
Luciana brought some weapons and meds in exchange for a shopping cart which the drug dealers let her fill. Whatever fits they get to take with them. There are tents set up inside the warehouse and one of the guys seems to recognize Nick as they fill up their cart – and he doesn’t look friendly. On the way out of the market they grab Nick and bring him to the ground because he stole some candy and stuck it down his pants. He noticed inside that the leaders sister is a drug addict and uses that to his advantage – somehow bargaining for another cart of water in exchange for oxy. They get their carts out of town before Luciana turns and calls him out for almost getting them both killed – and for making the bad guys interested in their little town.
Nick and Luciana make it back to town and Nick gives the candy he stole to the little girl from the beginning of the episode. Luciana sees it and realizes that maybe Nick is an okay guy? Or maybe it was amazement that Nick put them both in danger for a bit of candy for a little girl. Luciana grabs Nick and brings him to the doctor who drops a little of his own truth on Nick – which is that he’ll feed Nick to the undead if he ever puts his town in danger again.
At the resort Team Madison finds the front doors barricaded off. Maybe a hopeful sign that the place isn’t full of the undead? Things seem quiet inside. They find a wedding banquet – but I’m not sure if everyone missed the bloody decorations hanging in the background? Team Madison found the kitchen but it was already emptied. Alicia & Ophelia go to search rooms while Madison & Victor stay in the bar. He makes her a martini before they begin to argue about how to bartend.
Upstairs Alicia & Ophelia are going to go room to room. They find a cleaning cart with a key but each of the first two rooms react violently when they knock on the doors. They find a few supplies before finding a completely empty room – which of course has running hot water. Queue vulnerable shower scene maybe?
Downstairs in the bar Madison and Victor have a heart to heart. Victor is trying to help her as she fights her demons, her guilt and fear that she can’t protect her kids. Drunk Madison starts throwing glasses at the wall while Victor plays the Piano. This drives the horde across the street into a frenzy until they break free and head for the bar.
Alicia comes out of the shower and finds Ophelia gone, but sees a body go flying past the balcony. She goes out and realizes that the undead in the rooms are being drown over their railings by the sound of Victor’s piano and Madison’s glass throwing. Alicia goes running to the stairwell only to find it already crammed with the undead.
In the bar it is too late to escape by the time that Victor & Madison realize the biters are coming for them. They fight until they are backed up behind the bar, surrounded.
While Madison & Victor fight for their lives the doctor/priest is preaching to his townspeople. He believes they are the chosen to survive the ZA because he was bit and survived.
Things I loved about this episode…
- Nick’s badass girlfriend.
- The zombie in the shower and the way that Alicia changes the door hanger to “Do Not Disturb” when they leave.
Things that I didn’t like about this episode…
- Madison letting Alicia out of her sight.
- Ophelia finds the hot water still works at the hotel? Really? The hot water is still working?
- Getting drunk (Madison) seems very ill advised during the ZA – especially if you don’t have water to drink, or at least not a lot of it.
- Really? Who gets drunk and makes a ton of noise during the apocalypse?
- Nick Clark – Starts the season off by finding his girlfriend turned into a walker in a church. Has a addition problem.
- Alicia Clark – Nick’s sister. Has already lost her boyfriend to the virus.
- Madison Clark – Mother to Nick and Alicia. She worked at the high school where she met Travis Manawa, her boyfriend.
- Travis Manawa – School teacher and Madison’s love interest.
- Chris Manawa – Travis’s son.
- Daniel Salazar – The Barber who shelters Team Travis in Episode 2.
- Ofelia Salazar – The Barber’s cute daughter.
- Strand – The Instigator who Nick met in the detention center in S1, Episode 5.
- Thomas – Strand’s significant other.
- Celia – Thomas & Louis’s mother.
- Jack the Radio Dude – Alicia’s radio boyfriend.
- Connor – Jack’s boss and the leader of the boat pirates.
- Louis – Strand’s friend. The one who was going to get Strand into Mexico.
- Alex – Female from flight 462 plane shorts.
- Luciana – Female who ends up helping Nick in S2, Episode 8.