Fear the Walking Dead, Season 3
Fear The Walking Dead, Episode 4, 100, starts with the story of how Daniel (The Barber) survived after the fire in Season 2 where he appeared to die willingly. He’s burnt up, out on the streets, and thirsty when he gets into a slow race with a walker who is in slightly better shape than him.
It wins the race but Daniel is saved by a dog that starts barking, distracting the single walker who had him.
A wanderer finds Daniel and takes pity on him, taking him back to his hiding place in a mall where he has an old fountain that still pumps some water – once a week. Daniel’s savior puts him in his trike and then turns on a speaker announcing he has water while he rides through the zombies, his speaker drawing the undead to him.
The water an takes Daniel to other survivors who decide to clean his burnt up flesh with a straight razor.
A little bit of time passes and we see Daniel with his rescuer Efrain, who it turns out may be a priest? A priest who likes to drink. Efrain likes to use large nails and his hammer to kill the walkers.
Efrain lets Daniel cut his hair, and then tells him he knows he going to try and run. Efrain tries to understand why and Daniel tells him he’s killed lots of people – 96 to be specific. Efrain tries to make Daniel feel better but he begins to understand why Daniel wants to get back out on the road when he realizes Daniel is looking for his Daughter, Ofelia. Which leads to Daniel breaking down, telling Efrain that he’s not sure if he killed his daughter in the fire, or if she’s still alive. Daniel begs Efrain to forgive him. When Efrain falls asleep Daniel sneaks out into the darkness only to find it raining and dark.
Daniel kills one walker with a shovel handle before encountering a massive dude. The shovel doesn’t even phase the giant walker. Daniel kneels, defeated, leaving it to God – which is when the giant walker gets zapped in the head by lightening.
Daniel and the giant walker go down and are carried away in the run off, only to end up at the dam where Victor is. The people who find him are more scared they will be accused of sneaking him in if they are caught with him than anything else – so they hire him to be a janitor.
Daniel goes to work, does a shift, then ends up in the cafeteria eating his lunch. One of the bosses body guards puts his finger into Daniel’s food only to have Daniel disagree violently.
The fight leads the Boss to recognize Daniel, The Butcher, and just like that Daniel is walking away, no longer a janitor. The Boss asks him what he wants and smooth talks him into staying. A job is better than a jeep to go out into the Apocalypse. The job the Boss wants him to do is to find and kill the water thief – who just so happens to be the man who saved Daniel.
The search party crashes through the gates into the mall and finds the dry fountain – but the clock is ticking and to save the fountain Daniel gives up Efrain. He thinks he’s doing it to protect the girl who gave him his job – but she doesn’t care, she thinks hes a traitor. Which leads us right to where we saw Daniel at the end of Episode 3, giving Victor a canteen of water through the bars.
Daniel wants to know if his daughter is alive, which Victor confirms. If Daniel will let him out he will take Daniel to find his daughter. She’s just down the coast. Daniel doesn’t believe him, he’s convinced Victor will say anything to get out of the cell.
Which leads Daniel to face the reality of what he’s done by handing over Efrain. The poor priest is tied to a chair, getting beaten, but Efrain won’t give up how he is getting water, which would put the head of the water plant in jeopardy as well.
The Boss is happy when Daniel walks in – his expert in making people talk has just showed up. Daniel tells Efrain that he only has two options. Efrain can talk, in which case the priest dies and so does the woman helping him. Option two is he doesn’t talk, and Daniel will kill him. He will try and do it as quickly as he can – it is all he can offer. Daniel is going to kill Efrain when the woman breaks and grabs Efrain, embracing him. both are taken to the top of the dam. It is time for them to go over the edge. Daniel grabs the first guy and the Boss pushes him over. Daniel grabs Lola, the woman who gave him a job next and takes her to the edge where he hesitates before going Jason Bourne and saving Lola, Efrain, and Victor too. He kneels at her feet and asks her for forgiveness.
Things I loved about this episode…
- Slow Walker race with Daniel when he is just about out of juice.
- Daniel turning on the Boss at the end. I was very glad he turned to the good side.
Things that I didn’t like about this episode…
- Why would you cut up a wounded man’s leg with a straight razor?
- Daniel being forced to work over Efrain. That sucked.
- Nick Clark – Starts the season off by finding his girlfriend turned into a walker in a church. Has a addition problem.
- Alicia Clark – Nick’s sister. Has already lost her boyfriend to the virus.
- Madison Clark – Mother to Nick and Alicia. She worked at the high school where she met Travis Manawa, her boyfriend.
- Travis Manawa – School teacher and Madison’s love interest.
- Chris Manawa – Travis’s son.
- Daniel Salazar – The Barber who shelters Team Travis in Episode 2.
- Ofelia Salazar – The Barber’s cute daughter.
- Strand – The Instigator who Nick met in the detention center in S1, Episode 5.
- Thomas – Strand’s significant other.
- Celia – Thomas & Louis’s mother.
- Jack the Radio Dude – Alicia’s radio boyfriend.
- Connor – Jack’s boss and the leader of the boat pirates.
- Louis – Strand’s friend. The one who was going to get Strand into Mexico.
- Alex – Female from flight 462 plane shorts.
- Luciana – Female who ends up helping Nick in S2, Episode 8.
- Alejandro – the leader & Pharmacist who runs the colony.
- Elena – manager at the Hotel who the other guests blame for locking them in.
- Antonio – Elena’s sister who is with the Bandits.
- Jeremiah – Troy and Jake’s dad. The leader of the camp.
- Troy – Crazy brother who was killing people to see how long it took them to turn.
- Jake – Good brother who saved Travis, Nick, Alicia, and Nick’s girlfriend.
- Efrain – Rescues Daniel in Season 3, Episode 4 when he comes “back from the dead”
- Lola – the woman at the water plant who gave Daniel his job in Season 3, Episode 4.